tiistai 29. marraskuuta 2011

Fame (but where's my fortune?)

If anything TupaJumi managed to raise unprecedented attention from the local press, not to mention the police...

Already before the actual Restaurant Day a journalist from the local paper called and asked to do a story about TupaJumi and us. Since we were afraid of a huge crown turning up we agreed on a small cover with specifics about booking a table beforehand and our limit of 20 customers. The story didn't even mention my contact details. So you can imagine my surprise (and panic) when my phone rang in the evening of the day the paper was published and an old man booked a table for him and his wife! He had seen the story and found my number in the Internet. Not too hard I imagine but I was caught with age racism as I found this surprising since the man was well over his 70s.

Well on the way of the restaurant opening hours another journalist called from a the main paper in Päijät-Häme region and asked to come over with a photographer. They were going to visit the other pop up cafés close by as well but since they got the scoop of the day at my place, we were the center of attention in the Sunday paper. You see, while the journalist and the photogra
pher were here, the police showed up!! I was more or less panicked (for no apparent reason) while the press were ecstatic. The poor police officers were visibly embarrased that they were ordered there to check if a) we were serving alcohol beverages (strictly forbidden in Finland in commercial purposes unless you have a permit) and b) if we were causing (or experiencing) any disturbing behaviour. Since we were not guilty of either offence, they left to check the other pop ups.


Fortunately Rontti-the-Cat was in the leading role in the teaser for the following day's story =) Afterwards, I blushed when reading a blog about the visit to TupaJumi; the praise was a bit too much...

All in all I'd say that the best thing about the whole process was the time I spent with my childhood friend Sanna under the guise of hosting a restaurant.
Definitely worth participating in the event again!





Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti